Coleshill Town 0 v 3 Stamford AFC

First Team Match Reports 2021-2022

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 3 Stamford AFC

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:49 pm

Saturday 28th August 2021
Northern Premier League Midland Division
Coleshill Town 0 v 3 Stamford AFC
Scorers: Stacey Freeman, Cameron Johnson,
Attendance: 92.
Supporters Club Man Of The Match: Niall Rowe.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway. Josh Mansell, Taylor Carter-Byrne, Niall Rowe, Vidal Hendrickson, Gio Dainty, Sam Moore, Josh Willis, James Harrison (Jack Lynch), Joe Phillips (Kyle Burke ), Amarvir Sandu (George Washbourne). Subs not used Isaac Ideyeko, Lewis Williams.

Daniels: Daniel Wallis, Stacy Freeman, Jon Challinor, Harry Vince, Sean Wright, Ed Cook, Rodrigo Goncalves, Joe Butterworth, Jake Duffy (Tom Siddons), Cameron Johnson (Dec O’Hare), Cosmas Matwasa. Subs not used Jake Duffy, Mike Armstrong.

By Colin Wheatley

After a great start to the season with four successive wins in both league and FA cup, Coleshill, with several players out injured (Molesworth, Tonge, Dubidat and Tymon), entertained Stamford AFC under the blazing sunshine at Packmeadow. Fielding new signing Sam Moore, a bank holiday crowd of 82 watched the Colemen face a well drilled Stamford side keen to take revenge for their defeat by the home side in the cup six season’s ago.

Stamford put Coleshill under pressure straight from the kick off and it soon became clear that the home side faced tough, well organised opponents prepared to both play football and compete strongly. An early Stamford corner was cleared by Hendrickson; two penetrating runs by Matwasa won a free kick then set up a shot from Freeman that went over. On 8 minutes a foul from Sandhu brought another free kick initially cleared by Rowe, but Freeman’s follow up shot struck the net despite Hathaway getting a hand to it.

For the rest of the half Stamford maintained control of midfield and put pressure on the home side’s back line with Coleshill struggling to keep meaningful possession. Several counter attacks led to a shot by Duffy over the bar; then a fine save from Hathaway from an effort by Goncalves. Another run by Man of the Match Matwasa was shadowed to the corner by Sandhu. Coleshill won a corner that was easily cleared and a shot from Sandhu was scooped up by keeper Wallis.

On 25 minutes the continued pressure resulted in the second goal, Johnson’s shot after good work by Butterworth curling into the top right hand corner giving Hathaway no chance. The Daniel’s maintained the pressure for the rest of the half with fine combinations involving Duffy, Johnson and Matwasa. Sandhu made a good run on 40 minutes and passed to Moore, who then shot wide from 25 yards. On 42 minutes both Cook and Moore lunged for a loose ball which left the Stamford midfielder on the ground. The referee adjudged Moore guilty of a rash tackle and produced a red card. In the subsequent post event arguments Willis and Duffy were both booked for dissent. The half ended with an overhead kick by Johnson that went wide, a good combination by Mansell and Harrison brought a save by Wallis, and Rowe preventing an opportunity by Johnson.

Half time Coleshill Town 0, Stamford AFC 2

After the break Burke replaced Philips as ten man Coleshill moved Dainty up front alongside Washbourne, brought on to replace Sandhu. Early exchanges saw Willis’s shot go over the bar and Dainty, Mansell and Willis defend from Wright. Stamford made the most of the advantage and events on 52 minutes sealed the home side’s fate as Matwasa & Goncalves combined to set up Duffy. His shot passed the diving Hathaway’s right hand giving Stamford a 3-0 lead.

Stamford immediately substituted Johnson for O’Hare and Siddons for Duffy. A combination by Mansell, Harrison and Dainty forced a save from Wallis and a cross from Carter-Byrne found Mansell but was headed wide. O’Hare and Washbourne were booked for dissent and Harrison was replaced by Lynch. Coleshill were able to get some advantage with Dainty holding the ball up resulting in a corner headed wide by Willis. A neat turn by Mansell got Lynch into space but his shot went wide. A foul on the hard working Dainty earned a free kick but the resulting shot by Mansell also went wide. A shot by Mansell after a one – two from Washbourne and Dainty on 80 minutes was saved by Wallis.
Hathaway was forced into a double save from Siddons and on 85 minutes Carter – Byrne was booked for kicking the ball away and Burke yellow carded for a tackle on Wright. Matwas ended the match by earning an unconverted corner then forcing a save from Hathaway after yet another mazy run, and in the dying seconds Josh Willis was shown a second yellow card so the Colemen ended the game with just nine men.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2021-2022”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests