Sutton Coldfield Town 0 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2021-2022

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2583
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Sutton Coldfield Town 0 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:56 pm

Monday 30th August 2021
Northern Premier League Midland Division
Sutton Coldfield Town 0 v 1 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Sam Moore.
Attendance: 229.

Sutton: Lewis Gwilliams, Vinnie Dwyer, Harry Eden, Sufyan Zia, James Beresford, Alex Smith (Emem Jones), Jordan Francis (Matthew Richardson), Jack Burgess, Reece Gibson, Ryan Shaw (Rikardo Reid), Rhys Hilton. Subs not used Joel Powney, Kieran Hart.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Josh Mansell, Taylor Carter-Byrne, Niall Rowe, Vidal Hendrickson, Kyle Burke, Gio Dainty, Josh Willis, Sam Moore (James Harrison), George Washbourne (Joe Phillips), Amarvir Sandu (Isaac Adeyeko). Subs not used Jack Lynch, Lewis Walker.

By Colin Wheatley

Conditions :- Mild, cloudy, no wind.. Pitch surface very good (3G).


After the disappointing defeat to Stamford on Saturday, CTFC travelled the short distance to face nearest rivals Sutton Coldfield Town. On the Royal’s 3G pitch the Colemen raised their game and restricted the home side to very few opportunities and finished the bank holiday weekend in third place in the league.

The away side started briskly with efforts put wide by first Washbourne from a pass by Mansell and then from Moore after a neat turn when set up by Washbourne. Sutton responded by drawing a foul from Mansell but the free kick by Eden was turned away by the ever reliable Byrne; a shot from Hilton from a pass by Zia sailed over the bar.

With 10 minutes on the clock Coleshill began to win the midfield battle ( that continued for the rest of the game ) and generate half chances with that resulted in two corners but could not get a shot on target. Hilton made the first of several skilful runs down the right wing, usually shadowed and thwarted by Byrne, but got a shot into Hathaway’s near post the keeper confidently caught. From 17 minutes the game ebbed and flowed with Dainty’s attempt at lobbing Gwilliams frustrated by the keeper and a shot from Dainty after a pass from Moore going over the bar.

Moore came close to scoring in the 30th minute following good work by Washbourne and Sandhu but Beresford’s superb tackle prevented a goal. On 33 minutes, an excellent build up by the Coalmen led to the only goal of the match. Tackles in midfield by Willis led to the ball falling to Dainty who put Moore in space 8 yards out. The striker’s first touch gave him time to evade Smith’s attempted block and the striker’s right footed shot beat Gwilliam’s dive to give the away side a well deserved lead.

Coleshill 1 Sutton Coldfield Town 0

The game then opened up as Sutton pushed for an equaliser. An effort by Dwyer after some good interplay was thwarted by Burke and the full back’s shot went wide of the left hand post; a goal saving tackle by Rowe stopped Shaw in his tracks and Hendrickson cleared. Coleshill then had several opportunities for a second goal. Shots by Dainty and Washbourne were saved by the keeper and yet another Coleshill corner was headed away by Beresford.

Half time Coleshill Town 1 , Sutton Coldfield Town 0

The Royal’s started the second half well and drew three yellow cards ( Willis on 52, Hendrickson on 57 and Washbourne on 59) from the away side for mistimed tackles as the away team attempted to gain possession. The match threatened to become disjointed as both sides made substitutions (Richardson for Francis on 59 and Philips for Washbourne on 62). But from this point in the game until the final whistle, Coleshill got a real grip on the game .
Philips got into the action immediately but put the ball over from a pass by Byrne. Two unconverted corners followed. First an impessive passing movement involving Mansell, Moore & Philips; then from interplay by Dainty and Willis. Philips was booked for a late tackle on 70 minutes then shot just over after being put into space by Burke .

On 73 minutes Harrison replaced Moore , Reid replaced Shaw and Smith was substituted by Jones. Sutton gave the away supporters a scare on 75 minutes when a run down the centre by Burgess was stopped by Hendrickson’s ( already on a yellow), last ditch tackle just before he could shoot. This was adjudged by referee Mr Lunn to be legal, much to the disappointment of the home crowd.

Zia was booked for a foul on Willis after 79. Then Coleshill showed good game management to see out the match. Substitute Lynch ( who replaced Sandhu on 83) linking up with Philips and Dainty; then some fine passing movements involving several players helped maintain possession and run down the clock. Despite five minutes of injury time the Royal’s could not set up any meaningful chances and Coleshill deservedly took all three points.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2021-2022”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest