Barton Rovers 1 v 0 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2020-2021

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2767
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Barton Rovers 1 v 0 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:23 am

Saturday 19th September 2020
Southern League Division One Central
Barton Rovers 1 v 0 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Nathan Tshikuna.

Rovers: Niall Cooper, Jay Palmer, Garry Jones, Charlie Smith, Kai Phelan, Ty Ward, Victor Osobu, Dean Dummett, Connor Vincent, Jermaie Hall, Samual Oyeniran. Subs Nathan Tshikuna, Paul Andrews, Martel Powell, Samual King, Christopher Regis.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Josh Webb, Taylor Carter-Byrne, Joe Cole, Shay Palmer, Josh Willis (Lewis Rankin), Kai Tonge (Vidal Hendrickson), Joe Halsall, Danial Dubidat, George Washbourne (Max Brogan), Gio Dainty. Subs not used Louis Taylor, Christian Mullings.

If ever a game had 0-0 written all over it, it was this one! Chances were few and far between but both sides did have chances to score which they both squandered and a point each was what both sides deserved for their efforts, but such is Coleshill's luck at the moment that the Home side took advantage of a late corner and a shot found it's way into the net through a packed penalty box for a late, late winner.
Manager Cameron Stuart had cleverly organised pre-season to slowly get his squad battle ready for the new season but suspensions, injuries and Covid 19 have left him with limited resources and few options, Eight regular first teamers were missing from the starting line up.
Despite this Coleshill had the ball in the net within a minute, a great run and cross by Kai Tonge was met in a packed box by Gio Dainty who although he didn't connect cleanly he appeared to have done enough as the ball ended up in the net but the linesman's flag went straight up without many complaints coming from the Colemen. The home team suffered an early blow when an injury resulted in a substitution. Kai Tonge was causing all sorts of problems for the Rovers defence and another fine run and cross found Daniel Dubidat whose goalbound shot took a deflection for a corner. Paul Hathaway had to be alert as he tipped a dipping cross by Palmer over the bar. Osobu scraped the outside of the post as Barton came more into the game. Coleshill generally don't get the rub of the green from referee's and that tend continued as joe Halsall was shown a yellow card for what looked like a legal tackle. Kai Tonge again got ahead of the pack with a surging run but he was so far ahead he should have took it on himself but he chose to cross and George Washbourne,s volley went wide. It was Washbourne again minutes later with a great chance set up by Gio Dainty and Daniel Dubidat but in trying to get the ball on his preferred left foot, his eventual shot went past the post. Rovers had to make a second substitution with just half an hour gone. Washbourne was awarded a free kick just outside the box and when he took it quickly he only needed a return pass and he was in on goal but that pass never came. The best chance of the half for each side came just before the break. A long ball from The Barton keeper that sat up nicely for Vincent who powered a shot goalward and Paul Hathaway had to dive full length to tip the ball round the post. Then at the other end a fine ball by Taylor Byrne was touched on by Daniel Dubidat to leave George Washbourne with a sight of goal. He decided to take his shot early and the ball past the keeper and seemed to be heading just inside the post but a bobble put it off course and it went the wrong side of the woodwork.
The first half was definitely the more entertaining as the second became stalemate with chances running out. Vincent saw a shot saved by Hathaway's feet, Phelan headed a corner wide from a good position and that was the sum of the action until in the dying seconds Rovers forced a corner which the Coleshill defence struggled to clear but they had enough cover as the ball fell to Tshikuna whose shot managed to avoid all the legs and bodies in the packed area and landed in the net. Heart breaking for the boys in Red who had worked hard enough to have earned a point.

No game this Saturday but a visit from title favorites Corby on Monday 28th. Early days but Coleshill need and deserve a change in fortune.

A Match Report taken from the Barton Rovers website ... day-winner

The outcome of a match of few clear-cut scoring opportunities was determined when the home side edged the three points with a late, late goal. Prior to that, the sides played an evenly-matched first half with Rovers being first to threaten when full-back Jay Palmer sent in a high looping cross forcing Town keeper Paul Hathaway to finger-tip to safety. Town striker George Washbourne was prominent in the good moves Town compiled and might have scored after 24 minutes but fired wide from a good position. Just prior to half-time home striker Connor Vincent brought the save of the match from Hathaway with a long-range thunderbolt pushed away at the expense of a corner from which Rovers failed to capitalise. Town had their own glorious opportunity to open the scoring when Washbourne ran onto a fine through ball but, once again dragged his shot wide of target, and Rovers were let off the hook.

The homesters probably made the better start to the second half and midfielder Dean Dummett might have done better than find the keeper with his effort on 47 minutes. Rovers winger Victor Osobu failed to co-ordinate his feet when in on goal after 62 minutes and a chance went begging. Charlie Smith, the Rovers midfielder was next to try his luck from a free -kick his shot however was deflected for a corner. Midway through the half Rovers were bossing the game and centre-back Kai Phelan headed wide after 69 minutes closely followed by a Vincent shot that went wide. The breakthrough came in the 90th minute when Rovers substitute Christopher Regis caused mayhem on the Coleshill right with his direct running, fired in a low cross which initiated an almighty goal-mouth scramble and home midfielder Nathan Tshikuna popped up to toe poke home and secure three points for the home side. Town were unable to apply any real pressure in time added and Rovers held out for the victory.

Final Score: Barton Rovers 1 (Tshikuna 90) Coleshill Town 0

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2020-2021”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest