Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

"SEASON REVIEW"

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:52 pm

SEASON REVIEW

1982-1983

Picture Of team if possible.

Names of team photo plus ALL players who made an appearance.

Manager, Ass Manager.

Season Review

Games Played

LEAGUE P38 W13 D7 L18 F45 A58 Pts33 Pos14/20
CUP P10 W4 D2 L4 F14 A18
TOTAL P48 W17 D9 L22 F59 A76

LEAGUE TABLE

Leading Goalscorer

Most Appearances

Players used

Player Of The Year Etc

COLESHILL GAZETTE WROTE
Coleshill Town F.C.

Coleshill Town, members of the Midland Combination, can be well pleased with their performances last season under the management of Colin Holder and his Assistant Keith Shrimpton. In their first season of entry into the Walsall Senior Cup they came out worthy victors. The Gazette spoke to Manager Colin Holder and his views on the season were mixed: "I am very pleased that the Club has won it's first major honour for many years as the Committee has put in a lot of hard work and effort this season but I must state that I am disappointed in our poor league position, and I honestly considered us to be good enough to finish in the top six. We started the season off poorly as we suffered with holidays and injuries and this meant that I had to play myself in the first few games. Consequently we only picked up three points from the first five matches. After this setback the team settled down and won the next five consecutive games and up until November were lying sixth in the League and playing some of their best football. I was dealt a double blow with two good players leaving, Danny Williamson went to Dudley in the Southern League and Mark Bishop to Bromsgrove Rovers also in the Southern League. It was three weeks before I found suitable replacements for these players and results suffered in the meantime. Andy Foote was signed from Banbury United and Lee Jenkins, an England Youth International forward, was snapped up by me on a Sunday morning when many clubs were after his signature. The team started to pick up points again and beat Rushall convincingly 3-0 in the Quarter Final of the Walsall Senior Cup. Further troubles lay ahead for me when Brad Russell, the star midfielder, was sidelined for several weeks with badly torn muscles, and Brian Jordan with tendon trouble and I was also informed that Lee Jenkins would be leaving two weeks later to play full time with a Swedish Club. For the third time I had to rebuild the squad and as in the past this was done with care as there has always been a great team spirit at the club and I wanted this to remain. I then signed Kirk Jennings from Leamington and Roy Nicholas from Knowle to hopefully keep the team going not only in the Cup but in the League also. In the Semi Final of the Walsall Senior Cup we drew with Armitage of the West Midlands League 0-0 at Home and won the replay 3-2 after extra time with us coming out well on top in the end. Wolverhampton United, who were favourites to win the Cup were to be our opponents in the Final to be played at Hednesford F.C. on May 5. Two coaches of supporters travelled with the team and there was great rejoicing when we came out worthy winners 4-3 in an evenly fought game. This was an achievement for the club. In the two seasons that manager Colin Holder has been at Coleshill Town, the club has gone from strength to strength and with negotiations going on at present with the Brewery they hope to extend the Clubhouse and Dressing rooms. One unique point in Coleshill Town's favour is that they are, to my knowledge, the only Midland Combination club to have husband and wife team, as Colin's wife Carol is the Match Secretary with the club.
Chairman Harry Davies
Squad: Kirk Jennings, Brad Russell, Steve Polack, Steve Howlins, Andy Foote, Dave Moore, John Gardner, M. Caulfield, Roy Nicholas, Keith Shrimpton, Barry Canning, Brian Jordan, Bob Dyer, Danny Williamson. GOT PICTURE.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1982-1983”