Knowle 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1982-1983

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun May 24, 2020 2:30 pm

Wednesday 1st September 1982 - This is confirmed but can't find a match on Saturday 28th August.
Midland Combination Division One
Scorers:
Knowle: Casson.
Coleshill: A. Maguire 2.

P5 W2 D1 L2 F6 A9 Pts5 Pos13

Team: A. Maguire, Bob Dyer, Steve Polack. Confirmed. From: Collins, Pete Garnell, Phil Hemming, Mark Bishop, Keith Shrimpton, John Gardner, R.Gordon, Brian Jordan, Barry Tempest, A.Hanson.
Manager: Colin Holder.
Chairman: Harry H Davies.

SOLIHULL NEWS WROTE
Robbery At Knowle

A disallowed goal a minute from time robbed Knowle of a Midland Combination point against Coleshill Town on Wednesday night. The home side had battled gamely throughout but a harsh decision saw them beaten by a Coleshill Town side who were a little lucky to finish with full points. Knowle set the pace in the first half and carved out several good chances with Clayton, Bennett and Maguire all guilty of missing shots in front of goal. Coleshill grabbed the vital break-through in the first half with a neatly worked right side corner which Dyer took and Polack flicked on for Maguire to finish off. Coleshill added a second early in the second half when Maguire beat Ravenall and lobbed the keeper from outside the box for a well taken goal. But Knowle hit back with some determined play and Casson pulled one back for them. Indeed Casson was Knowle's best player but even he couldn't earn Knowle a point. With just a minute left, ex-Tamworth striker Martin Nugent had the roughest of luck when he burst through, beat a Coleshill defender only to see the ball cleared, but the clearance hit Nugent and he made the most of his good fortune when he carried the ball a couple of yards and calmly shot home. But the referee harshly disallowed the goal and gave hand ball against Nugent. "We were desperately unlucky not to get a draw after battling well". said Knowle Manager Joe Nugent.

SPORTS ARGUS WROTE
Holder Quits In Cash Flow

Coleshill Town have been dealt an early season bomb shell with the news that Manager Colin Holder is to quit he club next month. Holder, the man behind the club's remarkable rise in statue last term, revealed this week that he handed his resignation to the Coleshill committee on the opening day of the Midland Combination season a fortnight ago. But he said "I did not want to leave the club in the lurch so I therefore agreed to stay on for a month." The reason behind Holder's decision to part company with the club hinges on their failure to meet financial promises made during the summer. "I was promised a certain amount of extra money," he said "but I have now been informed that I am not going to receive it. Having gone out and signed players with this additional cash in mind, I have now got to tell them that they will not receive what I offered them. That to me is just not on. Therefore I was left with little alternative but to resign." Holder's problems were compounded in the opening fortnight of the campaign, when the Coleshill squad was devastated by injuries and holidays. Holder, and ex Blues defender, Dave Robinson, were both forced to make rare appearances in the crushing defeat at Bridgnorth last week. However the return of four players in midweek has helped Coleshill to recover in the shape of a 4-0 victory over Boldmere St Michaels. "That result promises that the side could go places this season," continued Holder, "and that is the crying shame of me leaving the club." Holder, who will be searching to stay on the non-league circuit, is to have a short break before considering his future.

N.B. Colin Holder and Dave Robinson possible candidates for Hall Of Fame.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1982-1983”