Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Boldmere St Michaels 4 v 3 Coleshill Town - Birmingham Senior Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:08 am

Saturday 15th November 1980
Birmingham Senior Cup
Boldmere St Michaels 4 v 3 Coleshill Town
Scorers: John Blythe, Mark Browning, Barry Canning.

Team: John Blythe, Mark Browning, Barrie Canning, Terry Allen, Paul Hevingham. Confirmed. Probable Tony Sammons, Steve Howes, Craig Povey, Martin Colder, Les Stonebridge, Steve Osman. Sub Neil Hobbs.

SUNDAY MERCURY WROTE
Boldmere, staring defeat in the face, staged a dramatic late recovery to win with the last kick of the game. Bray sparked off the revival with two goals and he was denied his hat-trick when his shot hit the post and went to Dunn to score the winner. Boldmere began the game in bright style with a goal in the opening 15 seconds from Cottson following a bad pass back from a Coleshill defender. Blythe equalised in the 35th minute following a cross from Allen and Browning put Coleshill ahead in the 45th (?) minute with a 20 yard drive with Canning making it 3-1.

CHELMSLEY NEWS WROTE
Coleshill Throw Away Cup Chance

Coleshill went close to providing the shock of the day in the Birmingham Senior Cup at Boldmere, but conceded three goals in the last 18 minutes to sink to another defeat. When Cotton latched on to a bad back pass by a Coleshill defender to give Boldmere a 15 second lead, things looked black for struggling Coleshill, but they hit back in great style. John Blythe equalised on the half hour following a fine cross from Johnny (think this is Terry) Allan and then Mark Browning scored a picture goal, hammering the ball home from 30 yards, to put the visitors in front. Boldmere must have wondered what had hit them when on the stroke of half time when Barrie Canning weaved his way past two defenders and calmly walked the ball round the keeper to make it 3-1.With Paul Hevingham and Mark Browning inspiring a smart team performance, Coleshill looked set to oust the Midland Combination title hunters, but Boldmere’s Harry Bray led a fighting revival. He scored two great goals and was denied his hat trick as his shot hit the post and rebounded for Dunn to net the winner. An amazing finish and Coleshill’s manager Mel Strong said: “I must take some of the blame. When we were 3-1 up I considered moving Hevingham back into defence, but because we were still looking effective going forward I left things as they were. All credit to Boldmere for coming back, but naturally I am rather choked.” Manager Strong has been busy trying to strengthen his squad and has snapped up central defender Shaun Tymon from Sutton Town and forward Steve Lamb from Birmingham Works AFA. Coleshill are without a game this Saturday.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1980-1981”