First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Birmingham fan Benjamin can't wait to face heroes in cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Birmingham City fan Benjamin can't wait to face heroes in cup competition
Writes the Coleshill Herald

SHANE Benjamin says he is 'over the moon' after Coleshill Town landed his dream tie in the Birmingham Senior Cup.

Paul Casey's men will host Birmingham City in the semi-finals of the competition, the club Benjamin supports.

"For me, it will be the highlight of what has been great season," he said. "I support the Blues so I am absolutely over the moon that we have drawn them.

"I am not sure what side they will put out but I am sure it will be full of good, young hopefuls, who will be looking towards having bright futures in the game.

"So we could be up against some future stars.

"I think the club played against Blues a few years ago and Nathan Redmond was playing so that would have been a great story.

"I am hoping to have a similar tale to tell in the future so I will be keeping hold of my programme to remember who was in the team!"

Benjamin, meanwhile, is thrilled to see Coleshill making an impression on the Midland Premier title race.

The Colemen have moved up to fourth in the table, three points behind leaders Lye.

"There's no pressure on us really," he said. "The title is for others to lose still, although it's nice for us to be back in the race.

"We just need to keep trying to churn out three points at a time.

"If we do that, hopefully we will reap our rewards at the end of the season.

"We just need the clubs around us to slip up and, if they do that, we need to capitalise. It could well be a fascinating dash towards the finishing line."

Benjamin admits he is excited about the run-in and the prolific striker admits he is loving life at the club.

"I just wish I was ten years younger!" said the 34-year-old. "I am loving my football at the moment.

"I am playing close to where I live and the dressing room here is fantastic.

"We are like one massive family in a semi-professional league.

"As well as scoring goals regularly, I am just enjoying the football. Everything is going our way at the moment and there's a really good feel around the place."

Coleshill's tie with Blues will take place at Pack Meadow Stadium on Tuesday, March 10 and will kick-off at 7.45pm. Admission prices will be £6 for adults and £3 concessions while under-12s will go free.

Coleshill recorded wins against Bedworth United, Banbury United and Rushall Olympic to reach the semi-finals.

Blues reached the last four stage with victories over Romulus, AFC Wulfrunians and Leamington.

Coleshill have also reached the semi-finals of the League Cup this week.

Paul Casey's men claimed a 1-0 win over Boldmere on Tuesday night with Benjamin on target.

Return to “First Team News”