First Team News

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Casey's delight as Coleshill victory opens up title race

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Casey's delight as Coleshill victory opens up title race
Writes the Coleshill Herald

COLESHILL Town boss Paul Casey hailed his team as they recorded an incredible 4-0 win over Midland Premier leaders Long Eaton on Saturday.

The victory well and truly opened up the title race, with Coleshill themselves moving into contention, as they moved up to third, just six points behind new leaders Lye.

"It was the performance of the season in an eight-week period where we have had lots of great performances," said Casey.

"We have scored five against Boldmere, six against Quorn, drawn 3-3 at Basford, but I think this one tops them all.

"The Long Eaton manager actually said after the game that the second half was men against boys, so that's some compliment to receive.

"It's was a funny game in a way and 4-0 flatters us. It did not reflect the 90 minutes but we still deserved to win and you have to take that result all day long."

Casey admitted his side had needed to ride something of a storm early on in Saturday's match.

"They threw everything at us in the first half," he said. "They could have scored two or three. It was a bit backs-to-the-wall but we dug in and rode our luck.

"Chris Jay, our keeper, made three or four good saves and our defending was very good as they put a lot of balls into our box.

"In the second half, though, we were in overdrive and it could have been six or seven, we were awesome and they ran out of steam. It was just an extremely good performance and gives an indication of how well we are playing at the moment.

"We have lost one in 15 now, it's a good run of form at the minute and I am absolutely delighted," he added.

Casey still believes Long Eaton and fourth-placed Basford are the sides to watch but he is delighted that the division has opened up.

"Lye Town are there, well placed, and Kirby Muxloe in fifth have a chance too," added Casey. "And I don't discard Walsall Wood, who are ninth right now but have games in hand.

"It's going to be a fascinating finish to the season but, from our point of view, as I said last week, we are just aiming to beat last season's points total of 75.

"If we can do that, we will see where that takes us."

Next up for Coleshill is a home clash with 17th-placed Brocton.

But Casey is expecting a tricky clash for his side, saying: "Brocton are a decent side with good players.

"They have games in hand so if they were to win those, they could shoot up the table and into the top 10.

"So it's a match we need to be fully focused upon."

Return to “First Team News”